How to Bead a Flat Spiral Stitch Bracelet
Part 1-Single Row
This is the first part of two tutorials for the Flat Spiral Stitch, which will cover the basic single row.
What you will need for a 7 inch bracelet ( I will explain in a second how to calculate if you need another size):
-You will need to know how to make half hitch knots and how to add a clasp.
-About 42 of 4 mm Czech Firepolished glass beads. 4 mm pearls or bi cone crystals work too, but please keep in mind the bracelet may look a little wider.
-About 84 of 3mm Czech Firepolished glass beads and again, 3mm pearls or crystals are good also. Mix up the colors to give it your flare!
-5 grams of sized 15 seed beads, you probably won’t use it all.
-Size 12 or 13 beading needle. You will be running through the size 15 seed beads a couple of times at the end to put on your clasp.
-About 2 and 1/2yards of Fireline or what ever beading thread you would like to use. I prefer Fireline just because it doesn’t fray and I just like the way it feels.
If you need a smaller or bigger size, here’s how to calculate:
1 inch equals to 6 of the 4mm Firepolished beads. So for a 6 inch bracelet, you will need 6 inches times 6 beads equals 36. Double that amount for the 3 mm and you need 42 of the 3mm.
For an 8 inch bracelet-8 inches times 6 beads is 48 of the 4mm, double that is 96 for the 3mm.
Let’s get started!
1. Pick up two 4 mm fire polish and add to your Fireline. Make sure to keep it least 10- 12 inch from the end of your line to put the clasp on when you are finished.
2.Pick up 5 of the size 15 seed beads, a 3mm fire polish and 5 more size 15 seed beads.
3. Come up the BOTTOM of the two 4 mm fire polish, keeping the 10-12 inch tail on the bottom
4.Pull your needle up through them, forming a loop.
Keep your string somewhat tight as the bead work will tend to loosen as you go.
5. Pick up 5 seed beads, one 3 mm and 5 seed beads.
6. Come back up through the bottom of the two 4 mm and up through the top making another loop for the other side.
7. You should now have a loop on each side of the two center 4 mm, somewhat of a butterfly shape. Push the loops on either side to make them sit as flat as possible.
8. ***Start repeat from here*****Next, add one 4 mm
9. Pick up 5 of the size 15 seed beads, one 3mm, 5 more 15s seed beads and come through the bottom of the TOP two 4mm
10. It should form a loop around the right side of the top two 4mm and should sit slightly stacked above the previous loop on the right side. Make sure to keep this side up as this will now start to have a back and front.
11. Pick up 5 more sized 15 seed beads, a 3mm, and 5 size 15 seed beads and bring your needle up through the top two 4mm again
12. Push the loop to the left side, so you have a loop on the left and right of the top 4 mm fire polish beads. *Make sure you keep this side up through out the length of the bracelet* *****End of Repeat****
You will continue to repeat steps 8 through 12 until you get to the length of your bracelet. In summary, after the beginning two 4mm beads, you will do your loops and then add a 4 mm, two loops on either side of the top two 4mm, add a 4mm, do two loops on either side and just keep going.
Adding a clasp- add 5 seed beads to the end, add the clasp and 5 more seed beads, and go back through the closest two 4 mm fire polish on the end. Come back up through the loop on the right side and then back up the seed beads and clasp. Come back up through the left side loop and back up the seed beads and clasp down through the 4 mm fire polish. Do a series of half hitch knots to finish and cut. Repeat for other side.